Lesson 3 - Legal and Ethical Issues
This lesson will cover the legal and ethical issues relevant to mandated reporting, as well as some practical information about what you should do when you suspect a child has been abused or neglected.
At the end of this lesson, you should:
- Be familiar with guidelines to aid you in deciding whether or not to make a report.
- Know what steps to take when you suspect a child is being abused/neglected, including how to talk with students about your concerns.
- Be familiar with some of the obstacles to reporting and how to overcome them.
- Understand what may happen after the report is made.
- Understand regulations regarding confidentiality and release of student education records.